Clerk & Recorder

Alamosa County Clerk & Recorder

The Clerk and Recorder's Office is responsible for:

  • Register motor vehicles including titles, plates, permits, and VIN inspections.
  • Registering Voters
  • Conducting all primary, general and county elections, as well as contracted municipal and school district elections.
  • Recording all real estate transactions,
  • Maintaining Birth, Death and other Vital Records,
  • Issuing liquor licenses,
  • Issuing and recording Marriage Licenses

Ph. (719) 589-6681 | F. (719) 589-6118
8999 Independence Way | Suite 101
Alamosa, Colorado | 81101
Election, Marriage, & Recording: Monday - Friday | 8:00 a.m.- 4:15 p.m.
Motor Vehicles: Monday - Thursday | 8:00 a.m.- 4:15 p.m. | Friday | 8:00 a.m.- 3:45 p.m.


Mari Felix

County Clerk and Recorder

Mari Felix


Photo Credit: NPS/Patrick Myers

Our Services


Motor Vehicle Department

The Clerk and Recorder acts as an agent for the Colorado State Department of Revenue in titling and licensing all new and old, purchased, leased, motor vehicles both currently in or entering the state. All motor vehicle titles and registration fees and requirements are set by Colorado State statute or set by rule and regulation promulgated by the Department of Revenue.

The Clerk and Recorder’s Motor Vehicle staff is dedicated to helping you register your vehicle. The Motor Vehicle Office is responsible for issuing Alamosa County residents: License Plates, Titles, Renewals, and V.I.N. Inspections.

  • Proof of insurance is required when registering any vehicle.
  • Payment by Cash, Local Check, Money Order, or Credit/Debit Card 
  • Motor Vehicles Department's computers go offline every day at 4:15 p.m.

Individuals whom need a duplicate title must provide a Drivers License or State Identification. Cost is $8.20

Individuals who are in need of disability parking privileges must provide a drivers license or State issued identification and have an application be filled out by a medical doctor.

Alamosa County does NOT have an emissions requirement for any vehicle registration.

Individuals seeking to register a homemade trailer needs to call the County Clerk's Office for requirements.

Renewals can be done by mail or in person. Proof of insurance is required when renewing you plates. We now offer renewals online when no changes or proof of insurance is required.

Out of State Vehicles must have a current title or registration certificate (not more than 6 months expired).

Information Needed:

  • Drivers License or State Issued Identification.
  • Proof of Insurance.
  • Weight Slip on Pickups over 4,500 lbs.
  • V.I.N Inspection



Notice is hereby given that

a public Logic and Accuracy test for the 2021 Coordinated Election will take place on October 6, 2021

in the County Clerk's Office located at 8999 Independance Way, Ste 101 at 8:30 a.m.


This test is open to the public.


Please call the Alamosa County Clerk's Office

at 719-589-6681 for more information


For sample ballot click HERE.                                                                      For Notice of Election click HERE.


Elections Department

The election department is responsible for voter registration: compilation of ballots, absentee ballots, and early voting ballots for regular primary, general and special county elections. The department is also responsible for election judge training, coordinating all Election Day operations, tabulation of Election Day results, and the certification of the election with the County Canvass Board. Voter registration may be done at either the Alamosa County Clerk and Recorder’s office or at any city/town municipal clerk's office in Alamosa County, or at any department of motor vehicles office. Mail registration forms are also available at those locations.


Frequently Asked Questions

        What are the responsibilities of the Election Department

Voter registration including:

  • Compilation of ballots, absentee ballots, and early voting ballots for regular primary,
  • General and special county elections.
  • Election judge training,
  • Coordinating all Election Day operations,
  • Tabulation of Election Day results, 
  • Certification of the election with the County Canvass Board
        How do I become eligible to vote?

In order to be eligible to vote, you must register in the county in which you reside. By registering, you declare your residency in the State of Colorado within the County and District of your actual physical residence. You must be a Colorado resident at least 22 days before the election to be eligible to vote

        What are the requirements to register to vote?
  • Be a U.S. citizen.
  • Be 16 years of age Reside in this state at least 22 days before the election
  • Provide your Colorado driver’s license number, Colorado state issued ID number, or last 4 of your social security number if you do not have a Colorado driver’s license or ID number
        Can I vote if I am not yet 18 years of age?

Yes, if you will be 18 on or before Election Day.

        Do I have to bring my identification to vote?

Yes, it is necessary to present identification when you vote early or vote at the polling place.During the 2003 legislative session, the General Assembly of Colorado passed House Bill 1356 and Senate Bill 102 which requires identification to be presented at your polling place in order to vote.

        What is an acceptable form of ID when voting?
  • A valid Colorado driver’s license;
  • A valid identification card issued by the Department of Revenue in accordance with the requirements of Part 3 of Article 2 of Title 42, C.R.S.;
  • A valid U.S. passport;
  • A valid employee identification card with a photograph of the eligible elector issued by any branch, department, agency, or entity of the United States government or of this state, or by any county, municipality, board, authority, or other political subdivision of this state;
  • A valid pilot’s license issued by the federal aviation administration or other authorized agency of the United States;
  • A valid U.S. military identification card with a photograph of the eligible elector;
  • A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the elector. For example:
    • A cable bill or telephone bill,
    • Documentation from a public institution of higher education in Colorado containing at least the name, date of birth, and legal residence address of the student elector,
    • A paycheck from a government institution or private company, or A Certificate of Degree of Indian or Alaskan Native Blood.
    • A valid Medicare or Medicaid card issued by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (formerly the United States Health Care Financing Administration);
    • A certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate for the elector issued in the United States; Certified documentation of naturalization;
    • A valid student identification card with a photograph of the eligible elector issued by an institute of higher education in Colorado, as defined in section 23-3.1-102(5), C.R.S.;
    • A valid veteran identification card issued by the United States department of veteran’s affairs or veteran’s health administration with a photograph of the eligible elector.
    • A valid identification card issued by a federally recognized tribal government certifying tribal membership.
    • Verification that a voter is a person committed to the department of human services and confined and eligible to register and vote shall be considered sufficient identification of such person for the purposes of section 1-2-210.5, C.R.S.
        What if I don't bring an acceptable form of ID to the polling place?

You may be required to vote on a provisional ballot. Save the hassle and bring your ID when you vote!

        When do I vote?

In person voting is available during regular business hours starting June 22, 2020 for the June 30, 2020 Primary Election and starting October 19, 2020 for the November 3, 2020 General Election conducted by the County Clerk & Recorder.

        How do I update my address information after I’ve moved?

If you move from your voter registration address, you must change your new address with the County Clerk & Recorder. You may either go online to: govotecolorado.gov, mail your address change to our office, email us at elections@alamosacounty.org, fax us at (719) 589-6118 or come into our office at 8999 Independence Way, Alamosa, CO 81101.

        How do I become Poll Worker (Election Judge)?
  • Be an eligible elector.
  • Be mentally and physically able to perform all required tasks.
  • Attend a training class.
  • Not have been convicted of election fraud or any other election offense

If you meet the qualification above, simply notify the Elections Department at the County Clerk & Recorder's office. Remember, judges are paid by the County for their efforts.


Recording Department

The recording department is responsible for processing and preserving documents presented for recording as public record. All records are open to the public and certified copies of any document of record are available for a fee.


In order to help prevent delays or errors when recording documents, please follow these guidelines:

  • When recording a document, make sure that the quality of the document and text is good and legible. Documents with poor quality produce poor public records.
  • When mailing, faxing, or emailing documents, please send documents in the order you would like them recorded.
  • Colorado law (CRS 30-10-406(3)(a)) requires that all documents have a top and bottom margin of at least one inch and a left and right margin of at least ½ inch.
    • The recorder may refuse to file any document that does not meet these standards.
  • A complete and accurate return address (to whom the original document should be returned after recording) should be clearly marked on each sheet of the document.
    • No return envelope is required but is appreciated.
  • Please make sure documents are recorded in the appropriate county. Documents intended to be recorded in one county are sometimes sent to another by mistake.
  • Please be aware that we will not reject any documents, nor, will we refund any recording fees.

    Remember, any document that is recorded becomes part of the public records, so, please do not write any private personal information such as Social Security Numbers.

        Please Submit Documents to:

Alamosa County Clerk & Recorder
Attn: Recording    
8999 Independence Way Ste 101
Alamosa, CO

  • Real Estate UCC’S are filed in Alamosa County. All others are filed with the Secretary of State.
  • UCC’s Fees:
    • $13.00 for 1-2 pages.
    • $18.00 for 3 or more pages.

Colorado law (CRS 38-35-109(2)) requires that all deeds include a notation of the legal (mailing) address of the grantee. This address is used to determine where tax statements should be mailed after a property is sold. Individuals should verify the accuracy and completeness of such addresses before recording any deed.

Alamosa County employees cannot do lien searches. Anyone desiring a lien search may conduct a self-lien search, or have a third party come into our office and conduct the search. Individuals may also choose to hire a title company to conduct this type of search.

Recording fees are statutorily established and a fee will more than likely be collected when a document is recorded. Please make sure that all fees are correct and accurate. Documents received with insufficient fees will be returned.

  • Please make checks payable to "Alamosa County Clerk and Recorder." Make sure checks are signed and dated.
  • Document that transfers title with consideration exceeding $500.00 will be assessed a state documentary fee of 1 cent per $100.00 (State documentary fees are included).
    • Document Recording Fees:
      • $13.00 for the 1st Page.
      • $5.00 for Each Additional Page.

The Torrens title system operates on the principle of "title by registration" (i.e. the indefeasibility of a registered interest) rather than "registration of title." The system does away with the need for a chain of title (i.e. tracing title through a series of documents).

  • Alamosa County uses the Torrens title system. Certain property in Alamosa County has a certificate of title; therefore, title insurance is not needed when property is sold because the property’s history is already on the certificate memorialization.
  • Torrens Fees:
    • $33.00 for an Owners Duplicate.
    • $13.00 for a Mortgage Duplicate.
    • $23.00 for a Deed of Transfer.
    • $13.00 for any other Memorial.
    • $8.00 for any withdrawal from Torrens Title.


E-Recording, or electronic document recording, is the process of transmitting real property documents electronically to the local government entity charged with recording and maintaining public records. The process is similar to traditional recording methods except that documents are submitted within minutes without ever leaving your house or office, and recorded documents are returned electronically immediately after recording. Contact one of the following companies to set an E-Recording account and start recording documents today.


Electronic recording does more than simply eliminate paper. It automates document examination, fee collection, image retention and data processing. Electronic recording results in greater efficiency and better use of existing resources. Productivity increases by minimizing time requirements, reducing costs and increasing document acceptance and accuracy. Title companies, financial institutions, law firms and other businesses involved in real estate transactions recognize great benefits from electronic recording. Counties reduce the manual processing effort associated with paper processing from days and weeks to just minutes.

        How long does it take to e-record a deed?

In most cases we get a reply from the recorder within minutes after a deed is submitted for recording.

        Who sees the documents I upload for recording, is it secure?

When you record a document you are entering the document into the public record, for the whole world to see. Documents with proprietary, sensitive, or personal information that you do not want to be available for viewing should not be recorded.

        What happens if my document is rejected?

We review documents prior to submitting a check for major errors that could lead to rejection. If a document is rejected we notify you of the errors so that you can correct them and then we re-submit the corrected documents for recording.

        How do I receive my recorded documents?

The recorder returns the file stamped recorded documents to us digitally. As soon as we receive them they are available for you to download from you e-recording platform.




Marriage Licenses

Marriage licenses are issued only during normal working hours for the Office of the Clerk & Recorder, Monday through Friday (except for holidays) 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

  • Licenses are valid anywhere in the State of Colorado for 35-days (including the date of issue).
  • License fee is $30.00.
  • Payment Options include Cash, Local Check, or Money Order.

Wedding Bands on pillow

Applicants for a marriage license must be at least 18 years of age, with the following exceptions:

  • Individuals who are 18 years of age and older do not need parental consent Each applicant must bring proof of identify and birth date, such as a driver's license, a birth certificate with a raised seal, or passport.
  • Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age require judicial approval.
  • Applicants younger than 16 years of age may not legally wed in Colorado.


  • Both the Bride and Groom must complete and sign the license application form.
  • At least one of the parties must apply in person before the marriage clerk.
  • If one of the parties cannot appear in person, he or she must complete an absentee affidavit and sign it before a notary public before it can be accepted by the marriage clerk.
  • Applicants seeking a marriage license need not be Colorado residents.
  • If either party has been married previously, we will require the date, place and type of court where divorced. Those who have been widowed will need to supply the date and place of death of their former spouse.


Blood tests are NOT required for either applicant.

A marriage may be performed by a judge, the parties of the marriage, or any public official authorized to perform marriages under the State of Colorado, or in accordance with any mode or solemnization required by a religious denomination or Indian tribe or nation.

Marriages are prohibited if one of either party is still married to another individual. Marriages between ancestor, descendant, brother, sister, uncle, niece, aunt, nephew are also prohibited.