Assistance for Adults

The Department of Human Services provides stabilization assistance and other supportive services to eligible individuals over age 18 with the following adult assistance programs:

Food Assistance
  • Check your eligibility/benefits with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Toolkit 
  • Food Assistance is a program to assist with the cost of food. Anyone may apply.
  • If you are eligible, you must receive your benefits within certain time frames.
  • If you need food right away and you meet certain guidelines, you may be eligible to expedited Food Assistance.

Food Eligibility Guidelines

  • Individuals and/or families can get Food Assistance if they meet certain income requirements, click here to find out income requirements.
  • Examples of income are money you get from employment, child support, unemployment or Social Security.
  • The person or family also cannot have more than $2,000 in resources.
  • If the household has elderly and/or disabled members, then they cannot have more than $3,000 in resources.
    • Examples of resources are money in your bank accounts, your retirement plans or investments.
    • Income and resources from your husband/wife (legally married or common law) and children count.
  • Households with resources that do not exceed $100 and who have less than $150 in gross monthly income in the month of application may be able to get their application processed faster.
Financial Assistance
  • Aid to the Blind (AB) provides financial assistance to low-income people of any age who meet the social security definition of blindness.
  • Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND) provides financial assistance to low-income people over age 18 who have total disability lasting six months or longer that prevents them from working. Visit Colorado's Disability Determination Services webpage for more information.
  • Home Care Allowance (HCA) provides financial assistance to elderly and disabled individuals for services paid directly to a home care provider of the client’s choice.
  • Old Age Pension provides financial help for residents age 60 or older with little or no income. Visit Colorado's Older Adult Services webpage for more information.
  • Adult Foster Care (AFC) provides a cash assistance program for individuals that need protective oversight on a 24-hour basis.
Medical Assistance
  • Connect for Health Colorado is Colorado’s Health Insurance Marketplace to apply for financial assistance to help reduce your costs and get access to free, in-person help available statewide.
  • Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) is program is for low-income eligible adults.
    • Eligibility is based on citizenship, legal residence, and household income.
    • Provides medical benefits including inpatient and outpatient hospital, physician services, child checks-up, immunizations, vision care, including prescription glasses, prescription drugs, dental and mental health care.
    • For adults over age 21 dental and vision benefits may be limited and may incur co-pay for services.
  • Old Age Pension (OAP) provides Medicaid for eligible applicants age 60 or older.
  • Long-Term Care (LTC) provides assistance to individuals who are Medicaid eligible and need help to pay for services in their home or medical facility for more than 30 days. Visit Colorado's Long-Term Services and Supports Programs webpage for more information.
  • Medicare Cost Savings Program (QMB, SLMB. QI-1) provides assistance for individuals receiving Medicare Part A.
  • Emergency Medicaid provides assistance for non-citizens who need help with an emergency medical expense.
Getting Started
  • You may file an application one of three ways:
    • Pick-up an application at the Alamosa Department of Human Services.
    • Complete an application online.
    • Print your own application here or have an application mailed to you by calling (719) 589-2581.
  • Benefits will be paid from the filing date. The filing date is the date your application is received.
  • You must have an interview, the interview may be over the phone.